swear I am never drinking again.
I have heard this line many times as friends lay curled up, white in the face, hands shaking, a sheen of sweat on their foreheads, reeking of the night before.
This is also one of the greatest promises ever broken, along with “I swear this is my last cigarette” and “I promise I didn’t cheat on you”. As soon as the hangover has worn off, we seem to magically forget how horrific we felt a mere 12 hours earlier. And so the cycle continues.
Although there is no single cure to solve the hangover blues, there are a few things which can make you feel a tad better.
- Sleep it off. A good sleep will allow some of the alcohol to get out of your system, plus you will hopefully be asleep through the majority of the hangover.
- Drink water before you go to bed. Not a sip of water. A lot of water. And then put a glass next to your bed for the morning, because you know you are going to want it, and getting up is going to suck.
- As much as you may want to, don’t drink coffee in the morning. The caffeine will dehydrate you further. Hot chocolate on the other hand, is a free for all.
- This one terrifies me far too much, but widespread knowledge says to cure a hangover, wake up and have a drink. A Bloody Mary or a Tequila Sunrise will allegedly get you up on your feet. It’s called “hair of the dog” as you have a little bit of that bastard dog that bit you.
- Whilst out, avoid drinks with high levels of congeners, as these tend to cause more severe hangovers. In general these are dark-coloured drinks like red wine, brandy, and port.
- So it seems that paracetamol isn’t the greatest call as processing it makes more work for your liver. Darn.
- Sports drinks such as Energade and Powerade boost your system of all the shizznizz that booze takes out.
- Everyone knows this one. The Oily Breakfast. Nuff’ said.
- To relieve a headache sit in a really hot shower and get the full force of it on the back of your neck to loosen tense neck muscles.
- Alternatively, you can carry on drinking. Who needs a hangover today, when you can have one tomorrow instead?
@TimStockhall says “A product called LifeStemSpirulina. It works like a bomb.”
@avselm says “4 hangover drink cream soda and eat niknaks… The colorants and preservatives scare off the headache.”
@NamzyNK says “Vanilla milkshakes do it.”
@_El_Burro says “hair of the donkey, I mean dog. If that doesn’t work then a Horchata always does.”
@JessGouws Pop a Valoid the morning after with a huge glass of water. Literally changed my life. Gets you ready for round two in no time!
Esra V says “A bloody Mary with a shot of wheatgerm and eggs and baked beans on toast!
DISCLAIMER: Please note that we take no responsibility for any negative effects caused by remedies suggested here. You try them at your own risk. Nobody should mix their medicines. Keep out of reach of children.